Paris, 9 May, 2017 – Midemlab, the international pitching competition for innovative music-related startups, today announces the 20 finalists most likely to influence the industry of tomorrow.
Presented by OVH, the major player in the European cloud market, and URights, the global music copyright management system co-developed by Sacem and IBM, Midemlab is part of the Midem music industry tradeshow, which takes place in Cannes, France from 6-9 June 2017.
This year marking its 10th edition, Midemlab is the leading launch pad for cutting-edge startups in the entertainment industries, whose ground-breaking solutions offer fresh opportunities to the music sector. The competition provides finalists with valuable exposure to industry decision-makers and potential investors. Previous participants have raised millions of dollars in funding thanks to their Midemlab appearances, and many are now well-established in the music ecosystem.
“I’m thrilled we have received such a high-quality international range of applicants to Midemlab this year. It was a tough task to select finalists. I cannot wait to discover their pitches at Midem for the 10th anniversary edition of our startup competition,” said Alexandre Deniot, Director of Midem.
“At OVH, we love startups, we love technology, and we love music. We are proud to partner with Midemlab and we’re looking forward to helping find and support the new players that will shape tomorrow’s music business” says Guillaume Fillière, Head of OVH Digital Launch Pad, the startup support program by OVH.
“Sacem has a long history of innovation. With URights, we will capture value to the benefit of music creators worldwide. We are excited to showcase URights, the innovative rights collection and services distribution platform, co-developed by Sacem and IBM. Partnering with Midemlab represents an important step in that story,” said Jean-Noel Tronc, Sacem’s Chief Operating Officer.
This year’s Midemlab received 136 submissions, from 32 countries. Some 30% of these were only founded in 2016, and nine-out-of-10 are seeking funding at Midem. The 20 finalists were chosen by Midem’s selecting partners: music business information and strategy company Music Ally; consulting company specialising in open innovation bluenove; and Northzone, the leading investment firm and early investor in Spotify. Finalists will pitch their business in front of the Midem audience and to a jury of potential partners and investors. As well as getting feedback from powerful decision-makers, they will gain valuable international exposure and media coverage. Finalists will also benefit from personalised coaching to prepare their pitch from Jon Eades, who leads Abbey Road Red, Europe’s only music tech startup incubation programme.
The Midemlab Finalists 2017 are:
For more details on each of the finalists, click here:
Music creation & education
– Uberchord (Germany) – Artificial Intelligence-based mobile music education platform
– STUDYTRACKS (Ireland) – Put study materials to music so kids can learn in an intuitive and effective way
– Roadie 2 (USA) – The world’s first hand-held vibration-based automatic guitar tuner
– Skoog (UK) – A musical instrument for the iPad created especially for kids
– HumOn (South Korea) – Let your voice compose
Music discovery & distribution
– Truelinked (Denmark) – The world’s leading online marketplace for vetted artists in classical music
– Diggers Factory (France) – On-demand vinyl produced by the community
– Yokee Music (Israel) – Market leader in the space of music entertainment apps
– Atmosphere (Netherlands) – Personally selected in-store music
– DISCO (Australia) – Lets you manage and share music and work smarter
Marketing & data/analytics
– Soundcharts (France) – Provide real-time airplay, playlists, charts and social analytics for any artist and more
– Rotor Videos (UK) – Quickly and easily create promo videos and music videos for your tracks
– NPREX (USA) – First-ever online exchange for direct licensing of public performance rights
– The Bot Platform (UK) – The trusted platform for building bots on Messenger
– Instrumental (UK) – Specialists in online talent discovery
Experiential technologies – AR/VR, high resolution, IoT & hardware
– Vinci Smart Headphones (China) – First smart headphones with Artificial Intelligence
– SYOS (France) – Custom sound thanks to 3D printed instruments
– Pacemaker (Sweden) – Create and share DJ mixes with streamed music
– TheWaveVR (USA) – VR platform for music lovers to view, host, and socialise in shows worldwide
– ORB (Sweden) – Immersive music format designed for generation 360/VR
Discover 2017’s Best Music Startups: Midemlab’s Finalists on MidemBlog
About Reed MIDEM – Founded in 1963, Reed MIDEM is an organiser of professional, international markets that are essential business platforms for key players in the sectors concerned. These sectors are MIPTV, MIPDOC, MIPCOM, MIPJUNIOR in Cannes, MIP China in Hangzhou and MIP Cancun in Mexico for the television and digital content industries; MIDEM in Cannes for music professionals; Esports BAR in Cannes and in Miami for the esports business; MIPIM in Cannes, MIPIM UK in London, MIPIM Asia Summit in Hong Kong and MIPIM PropTech Summit in New York for the real estate industry; MAPIC in Cannes, MAPIC Russia in Moscow, MAPIC Italy in Milan, MAPIC China Summit in Shanghai and IRF brought by MAPIC in Mumbai for the retail real estate sector. www.reedmidem.com
About Reed Exhibitions – Reed MIDEM is a division of Reed Exhibitions, the world’s leading event organiser, with over 500 events in 43 countries. In 2015 Reed brought together over seven million active professionals from around the world generating billions of dollars in business. Today Reed events are held throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Asia Pacific and Africa and organised by 41 fully-staffed offices. Reed Exhibitions serves 43 industry sectors with trade and consumer events. It is part of the RELX Group plc, a world-leading provider of information solutions and analytics for professional and business customers across industries. www.reedexpo.com