Paris, April 4 2019 – Midem, the home of the global music community, today announces the finalists selected in the 2019 Midem Artist Accelerator competition.
Celebrating its 5th edition, the Midem Artist Accelerator (MAA) programme this year -presented by re-imagined record label and music distribution company Amuse – has seen a record number of submissions, with a 35% increase on 2018, including entries from 24 new countries.
The competition gives artists the opportunity to have their music heard by a world-leading panel of experts, offering entrants access to on-site mentoring and networking at the highest level; profiling in Midem’s communications; features on the Official Midem 2019 Vinyl Compilation and the chance to perform on a beach stage on the stunning French Riviera during the Midem By Night live series.
Midem maintains contact with its Artist Accelerator alumni, relishing their reported successes and the influential relationships they go on to develop as a result of their participation in the programme. Big Star Johnson, a former South African finalist, signed a deal with Warner Music South Africa immediately after Midem, going on to release his debut album, Me&Mines. He says, “The Midem Artist Accelerator Programme serves as my biggest career highlight. Connecting with the rest of the world in one place was phenomenal. The many pieces of advice and connections made, makes Midem the hub for global networking. The performance was my highlight… Opened my eyes to how ready the world is for Africa. I’m forever grateful for the opportunity.” Australian finalists, Client Liaison, add, “We were the first Australian band to qualify for the Midem Artist Accelerator. That was great for us because we want to be a global success and, in the end, it’s all about relationships and we met a lot of people at Midem.”
Other MAA alumni who have gone on to enjoy great success in the industry include 2018’s AKA (South Africa), The Face of Reebok Classic Africa, who released his third studio album Touch My Blood two weeks after Midem. It went gold in South Africa in 6 days. 2017’s Be Charlotte (UK) has since signed to Columbia Deutschland/Sony Music Germany after being spotted in Cannes, Prateek Kuhad (India) is currently touring with Charlie Winston after meeting his manager at Midem, and Kiddy Smile (France) featured in the latest Gaspard Noe movie, Climax. He was also invited by French President Emmanuel Macron to DJ at the annual Fête de la Musique held at the Elysée in Paris. 2015 acts Ghetts (UK), featured on Giggs’ new album, Big Bad and Andreya Triana (UK) is part of the FIFA 2019 soundtrack with the single, Beautiful People.
Midem Director, Alexandre Deniot, is proud to announce this year’s chosen finalists, saying, “We’re so pleased to have seen such a boom in entries for 2019, particularly the diversity of genres and nations represented. With our commitment to working in developing regions through the High Potential Markets Programme, including the African and Latin American Forums, we’re especially excited to welcome submissions from countries in those areas, such as Kenya, South Africa, Puerto Rico and Colombia. I wish all the finalists the best of luck and look forward to seeing them perform in Cannes this June.”
The Finalists in the 2019 Midem Artist Accelerator Presented by Amuse:
- Acido Pantera, EDM (Colombia) – “The new vibe of the Colombian electronic music scene.”
- Alexander Oscar, Pop (Denmark) – “The emerging pop sensation.”
- Anya, Pop (Denmark) – “Make room, there is a new pop queen in the house.“
- Blanche, Pop (Belgium) – “Both mysterious and fascinating, Blanche is a breath of fresh air in the pop universe”. Winner, European Border Breakers Award 2018 and the voice of Belgium in the Eurovision Contest 2017 with the track City Lights, reaching the semi-final.
- Bo Ningen, Rock/Alternative (Japan/UK) – “An ecstatic shamanic ritual: Bo Ningen are excessive, instinctive, unmanageable and genre-breaking artists!”
- Dalex, R’n’B/Hip Hop/Urban (Puerto Rico) – “The hottest Latin urban revelation of the year!”
- Kyan, R’n’B/Hip Hop/Urban (UK) – “Kyan is the real deal. As a creative, what he’s doing is unbelievably impressive.” – Nile Rodgers
- Moonchild Sanelly, Pop (South Africa) – Part of the Africa Express Initiative alongside iconic figure, Damon Albarn, who said of her, “A global superstar waiting to happen.”
- Mullally, Pop (UK) – “The new master of an edgy soulful sound.” His debut album is due for summer release via Atlantic Records UK.
- Sauti Sol, World (Kenya) – “The Kenyan musical phenomenon.”
- Rasha Nahas, Rock/Alternative (Palestinian Territories) – “Rasha Nahas has the Weimar cabaret with added violins and rockabilly.” – The Guardian
Discover the music of the 2019 Artist Accelerator finalists here
This year’s competition is being presented by re-invented record label and music distribution platform, Amuse, for the first time. Diego Farias, co-founder and CEO, Amuse, says, “The Midem Artist Accelerator serves to boost the careers of emerging talent around the globe, while also supporting their managers, agents, labels, and publishers. We’re thrilled to partner with this programme as we share the same goals. Amuse creates tools for every independent artist, giving them and their teams access to innovative services and data that empower the artist to reach their full potential.”
Finalists were selected by Midem’s elite Artistic Committee, a panel of global industry players:
● Abiola Oke, CEO & Publisher, OkayAfrica (USA/Africa)
● Christian Bernhardt, Agent, United Talent Agency (USA)
● Désirée J Vach, Chairwoman of VUT / Consultant INgrooves Music Group (Germany)
● Devraj Sanyal, Managing Director & CEO, Universal Music Group South Asia/ EMI Music South Asia/ Enchanted Valley Carnival (India)
● Elodie Bensoussan, Director of the International Development, Sony Music Entertainment (France)
● Gloria Adereti, Brand Partnership Director, Boiler Room (UK)
● Jessica Chang, Asia Pacific Regional Creative Manager / Writer Services, Warner/Chappell Music (Taiwan)
● Leila Cobo, Executive director of content and programming for Latin Music, Billboard (USA)
● Monde Twala, VP BET, MTV, Youth & Music channels, Viacom International Media Networks Africa (South Africa)
● Nadia Khan, Artist Manager, CEO of CTRL Management and Founder of Women in CTRL (UK)
● Patrik Larsson, A&R and Label Manager, Playground Music Scandinavia (Sweden)
● Rob Hallett, Founder, Robomagic (UK)
● Tamas Kadar, CEO, Sziget Festival (Hungary)
● Yoshinari Hirayama, Promotion & Marketing Chief Manager, Creativeman (Japan)
● Willy Ehmann, Artist Manager (Germany)
During Midem itself, 04-07 June 2019, in Cannes, the finalists will have access to essential professional mentoring and insights from a range of experts, including:
● Data Analytics (real–time charts, playlists, airplay & social monitoring) by David Weiszfeld, Founder & CEO of French company Soundcharts – the Market Intelligence platform for the Music Industry
● Free legal consulting by The International Association of Entertainment Lawyers (IAEL)
● Use of Messenger bot & fan messaging platform with Harry Willis, Head of Partnerships, I AM POP
● Privileged access to the Global Sync & Brands Summit – the gathering of the music supervision community (senior executives, buyers from film, TV, gaming, agencies and brands)
● Dedicated workshops on Music sync & placements, Alternative capital for artists, Digital strategy & social media management in association with Berklee College of Music, Media & promotion, Country Focus, Artist & Fan relationships
Notes To Editors
About Amuse – Amuse is a re-invented record label offering free music distribution to all major music services, with artists retaining 100% of the royalties and rights. The company uses music consumption data to find, license and build cutting-edge services for tomorrow’s platinum selling artists. Amuse was founded in Stockholm in 2015 by a team of music industry experts with executive experience from major music companies such as UMG, Warner Music and Spotify. Creative entrepreneur and seven-time Grammy Award winner will.i.am joined the co-founder team in July 2017. Discover more at www.amuse.io
About Midem – Home of the Global Music Community, Midem is the world’s leading music business event which brings together, connects, serves and supports the global music community to exchange, create, play, forge relationships and shape the future of music. With a rich 4-day programme of conferences, competitions, networking events and live performances, music makers, cutting-edge technology companies, brands & talent come together to enrich the passionate relationship between people & music, transform audience engagement and form new business connections.
Midem is part of Reed MIDEM, a global leader in the organisation of international professional markets in music, television and digital content industries (MIPTV, MIPDOC, MIPCOM, MIPJUNIOR, MIP China and MIP Cancun) and real estate sectors (MIPIM, MIPIM PropTech and MAPIC).
Reed Exhibitions is a leading global events organiser, with more than 500 events in 30 countries. In 2018, Reed Exhibitions brought together more than 7m event participants from around the world generating billions of dollars in business. Today Reed Exhibitions’ events are held throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Asia Pacific and Africa and organised by 38 fully staffed offices. Reed Exhibitions serves 43 industry sectors with trade and consumer events. It is part of RELX Group, a global provider of information and analytics for professional and business customers across industries.