Paris, February 27 2019 – Midem, the home of the global music community, today unveils the jury for the 2019 programme of its music startup competition, Midemlab.
Entries are now open for the 12th edition of the Midemlab competition, presented by Deezer and Recochoku. Once again featuring the most promising international music-related startups, whose ground-breaking solutions offer fresh opportunities to the music sector, pitches and judging will take place during Midem 2019 in Cannes, 04-07 June.
The competition provides finalists with valuable exposure to industry decision-makers and potential investors. Previous participants have raised millions of dollars in funding thanks to their Midemlab appearances, and many are now well-established in the music ecosystem, like Soundcloud, The Echo Nest (acquired by Spotify), Next Big Sound (acquired by Pandora), and BandPage (acquired by YouTube). 2018 finalist Asaii was acquired by Apple just four months after last year’s competition.
Competition partner, Deezer, is excited to see the talent showcased by the 2018 entries. “It’s great to be able to support Midemlab again this year. Our ability to continue to offer users one of the best music streaming platforms in the world is closely connected to keeping our minds and our spirits fresh, being open to new ideas and approaches, staying inspired by innovation and hiring the best talent. Midemlab is the ideal platform to accomplish each of these goals and I’m looking forward to getting to know this year’s contestants and their ideas” says Alexander Holland, Chief Content & Product Officer at Deezer.
Equally, Recochoku is looking forward to the 2019 pitches, explaining, “Midemlab is a true opportunity for music tech trailblazers to wow the industry, benefit from the feedback of an incredible panel of experts and see their ventures take flight. It’s really important for us to be partnering on the competition, bringing these exciting innovators to a long-established initiative within the international gathering of the music ecosystem that is Midem.”
The internationally influential jury for this year’s contest brings together decision-makers from some of the industry’s most pioneering and prestigious entertainment and tech companies, including Google, Sony Music Entertainment, The Orchard and Warner Music Group, investment firms such as Atom Factory and GP Bullhound, relevant startup campuses such as STATION F, and authoritative global media like France 24, Mashable and the Guardian. Midemlab also welcomes back its long-standing selecting partners, Music Ally & bluenove.
Apply to MIDEMLAB
This year’s call for entries is now open. The deadline for submissions is 20 March 2019.
20 finalists will be chosen from submissions by our selecting partners. They will be invited to Midem to pitch their business to a jury and the wider Midem audience.
Companies can apply in one of the following four categories:
- Music Creation & Education
- Music Discovery & Distribution
- Marketing & Data/Analytics
- Experiential Technologies – VR/AR, High-Resolution, IoT & Hardware
Finalists will receive personalised coaching from Abbey Road Red to prepare for their pitches. Abbey Road runs a unique music tech startup incubation program – the only one of its kind in Europe. Winners in each category will receive a private meeting with leading music startups accelerator TechStars Music, free legal advice from Jeff Liebenson of Liebenson Law, free PR advice from PR strategist Joanna Kirk, a free mentoring session from innovation specialist Yvan Boudillet, one free registration to 2020 Midem, and more.
The MIDEMLAB Jury so far:
- Christian Behrendt, Creative Lead (ZOO EMEA), Google (Germany)
- Sirena Bergman, Freelance Journalist, Mashable/Vice/The Guardian/The Independent (UK)
- Yvan Boudillet, Founder & President, TheLync (France)
- Nicolas Brien, Managing Director, France Digitale (France)
- Paul Brindley, CEO, Music Ally (UK)
- Tiago Correia, Global Digital Business Development Manager, Innovation, Warner Music International (UK)
- Martin Duval, President & Co-Founder, bluenove (France)
- Alexander Holland, Chief Product & Content Officer, Deezer (France)
- Stéphanie Hospital, Founder & CEO, OneRagtime (France)
- Mikio Inari, CTO, Recochoku (Japan)
- Joanna Kirk, Managing Director, StartHer, and Co-Founder, Startup Sesame (France)
- Alon Kuperman, Director, Investment Team, GP Bullhound (UK/Sweden)
- Rodolphe Menegaux, Partner, Alven (France)
- Marjorie Paillon, Journalist, Presenter, #TECH24, Founder, I Love Productions (France)
- Olivier Parfait, Director, Global Business Development & Digital Strategy, Sony Music Entertainment (UK)
- Suzy Ryoo, Venture Partner, VP of Innovation, Atom Factory (USA)
- Juan Francisco Saavedra Plata, Co-Founder/CEO, Kuack Media Group (Colombia)
- Matthias Strobel, President, Music Tech Germany (Germany)
- Colleen Theis, COO, The Orchard (USA)
- Marine Wetzel, Head of Founders Program, Station F (France)
About Midem – Home of the Global Music Community, Midem is the world’s leading music event which brings
together, connects, serves and supports the global music community to exchange, create, play, forge relationships and shape the future of music. With a rich 4-day programme of conferences, competitions, networking events and live performances, music makers, cutting-edge technology companies, brands & talent come together to enrich the passionate relationship between people & music, transform audience engagement and form new business connections.
Midem is part of Reed MIDEM, a global leader in the organisation of international professional markets in music, television and digital content industries (MIPTV, MIPDOC, MIPCOM, MIPJUNIOR, MIP China and MIP Cancun) and real estate sectors (MIPIM, MIPIM PropTech and MAPIC).
Reed Exhibitions is a leading global events organiser, with more than 500 events in 30 countries. In 2018, Reed Exhibitions brought together more than 7m event participants from around the world generating billions of dollars in business. Today Reed Exhibitions’ events are held throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Asia Pacific and Africa and organised by 38 fully staffed offices. Reed Exhibitions serves 43 industry sectors with trade and consumer events. It is part of RELX Group, a global provider of information and analytics for professional and business customers across industries.